Yes, it’s on! The Ottawa Public Library is holding its annual Awesome Authors Contest for youth aged 9-17. If you’re a young person in Ottawa with something to say, get to work on saying it well.
(BTW, the 9-year-olds don’t have to compete with the high-schoolers. The contest is divided into three age categories: 9-11; 12-14; and 15-17. For each age division, there are fiction, poetry, and graphic storytelling categories in both French and English.)
The contest opened on December 1st, so there are bound to be young people already halfway through their second revision. But don’t worry. There’s lots of time to catch up. The contest is open till February 19, 2018.
There will be prizes for first, second, and third place (and up to 3 honorary mentions) in each genre in each age division. Every one of the winning pieces will be published in this year’s Pot-pourri anthology. (See my recent blog post for information on last year’s Pot-pourri.)
There are many rules to follow (no 8,000-word stories, please!), and specific requirements to enter. Be sure to check out the details on the OPL’s Awesome Authors webpage.
If you need a little help getting started or finishing up, come out to one of the Awesome Author writing workshops being held this month and next, led by the contest judges (including me):
Writing workshops for ages 9-12:
- Friday,January 26 : Poetry with Apollo the Child- Ruth E. Dickinson branch
- Friday, January 26: Short Story with Catherine Austen – Greenboro branch
- Friday, January 26: Comics/Bandes dessinées with Eric Péladeau – Main branch (bilingual workshop)
- Friday, January 26: Poésie et nouvelles with Michel Lavoie- Beaverbrook branch (in French)
Writing Workshops for ages 13-17:
- Saturday, December 16: Poetry with Apollo the Child – Rosemount branch
- Saturday, February 10: Short Story with Katherine Battersby – Centennial branch
- Saturday, February 10: Comics/Bandes dessinées with Eric Péladeau – Cumberland branch (bilingual)
- Saturday, December 16: Poésie et nouvelles with Michel Lavoie- Orléans branch (in French)
Hope to see you there!